According to the World Health Organization, mental illnesses affecting young adolescents – between the ages of 10 and 19 – account for 16% of all illnesses, and half of these mental disorders start at age 14, and within the report Learn about their types diseases and their names Folk language, its causes..and its symptoms..and ways to treat it as well. Meeting and Dr. Fatima Al-Shennawi, professor of psychiatry and a lecture on human development .. for explanation and details.
1- The most common mental illness in adolescents
- Anxiety, depression or behavioral problems, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, are among the most common mental illnesses in adolescents.
- (9.4%) of children and adolescents aged 2-17 years were diagnosed with ADHD.
- (7.4%) of children and adolescents aged 3-17 years were diagnosed with behavioral problems.
- (7.1%) of children and adolescents aged 3-17 years were diagnosed with anxiety.
- (3.2%) of children and adolescents aged 3-17 years were diagnosed with depression.
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) affects adolescent behavior. This disorder is accompanied by symptoms such as insomnia, impulsive behavior or inability to focus on a task.
2- Types of mental illness
- Anxiety that affects adolescents at this stage focuses on changes in feelings, appearance or acceptance by society and others, as well as concerns about their independence.
- Anxiety disorder is accompanied by a strong sense of shame, which prevents them from participating in routine activities and refusing to engage in new experiences, and one of the symptoms of this anxiety is the presence of constant fear of the usual events of daily.
- Behavioral changes, meaning refusal to engage in social activities and school attendance, accompanied by a decline in academic performance and disturbances in sleep and concentration.
Learn more: How to deal with a nervous teenager
Instability from anxiety to relaxation..a mental illness
- major mood swings occur; As anxiety turns to relaxation, and sadness to joy, and sometimes irrational behaviors occur, the effects of depression outweigh the change in mood.
- Depression can negatively affect a teenager’s personality, causing a great deal of sadness, despair and anger, and depression can accompany several things like:
- Teenagers run away from home or talk about their intention to run away.
- Adolescents have a low self-esteem and many feelings of failure and unworthiness.
- Addiction to using the internet and mobile phones to escape from their problems while using the internet can increase isolation and depression.
- High rate of dangerous practices like careless driving and violence, especially among men exposed to bullying.
- They range from behaviors in which the adolescent violates the rights of others, such as assaulting others or animals, or destroying property and stealing.
- Or a violation of general rules, such as absenteeism or absenteeism, and the adolescent may adopt other behaviors such as persistent rejection and opposition, often arguing and blaming adults.
- He refuses to follow the rules and feels resentment, anger, hatred and revenge.
Learn more: Ways to treat nail biting in teens ..
3- Causes of mental illness .. Social networks
Adolescence is a very sensitive period because it is the beginning of the development of emotional and social habits as well as the learning of emotion management.
The results of this phase depend on several factors that can improve or reduce the adolescent’s mental health security, namely: the amount of pressure to which the adolescent is exposed; And this during his constant search for independence, or comparison with the other.
The impact of social networking sites on teens, which leads to a comparison between the real reality of the teenager and the imaginary one and his perceptions of the future.
The economic class in which the adolescent lives, the adolescent’s relationship with his peers, the amount of violence to which he is exposed and the economic and social problems.
Children and adolescents are highly vulnerable to violence, which can affect their mental health.
4- Symptoms of mental illness in adolescents
- Feeling upset, sad, hopeless or lacking in motivation .. Problems with performing daily activities.
- Sudden changes in behavior for no apparent reason … Sleep and eating disorders.
- Regression in academic performance, or sudden refusal to go to school or work
- Avoid contact with friends and the outside community. Feeling of physical pain such as headaches, stomach aches and back pain.
- becoming aggressive; This is shown by the lack of school, theft, quarreling and getting into trouble with the police.
- Excessive care for weight and appearance and this is shown by the constant effort to lose weight.
Treatment of mental illness in adolescents
- First: Includes psychotherapy sessions, in which the teenager talks to a psychiatrist, on some topics such as: hobbies and activities that the teenager loves. In addition to explaining the fear of suffering .. This helps in the development of the adolescent. the ability to express his thoughts, thoughts and feelings.
- The second is..taking medication
Learn more: The role of parents in strengthening adolescent self-esteem: 9 steps
Note from “Madam Net”: Before applying this prescription or this treatment, you should consult a specialized doctor.