What is new, in the context of designing the kitchen decor of contemporary homes, regardless of whether the space of the latter has been expanded or narrowed, has become independent or has merged with the reception environment?
A question that “Madam” brought to the interior design engineer, Amy Kassem, whose projects lie between Egypt and the United States of America, and she returned with the following.
In reading books for the elementary school stage, as well as in children’s stories, the kitchen is “feminine” in the sense that it is a private space for women, or it can be called the “kingdom of women” in the context of defining their roles. in society, despite the fact that cooking is a hobby practiced by many men, or even represents a craft for them or they do it while women are preoccupied with other things .. On the other hand, contemporary kitchen design makes the latter an inclusive space, so that all family members can share it, to perform various activities, including, but not limited to: “counter” teaching. watching TV …
Highlights in contemporary kitchen design
According to Egyptian interior designer Amy Kassem, the transformation of the independent kitchen into an “open space” that joins the living area is a design that represents a cultural evolution of the kitchen concept, which is no longer just an area of food preparation. , but rather an area that greatly influences home decoration.
On the other hand, the engineer says that “the kitchen space, no matter how small, does not prevent the implementation of an elegant and practical design, as the content of the space is reduced, within the contemporary design. and organized, in a way that ensures easy movement within the country. “It focuses on the following points, in the design of the kitchen:
- Cabinets are an integral part of the design.
- The presence of the “island” or “counter” in the main kitchen, no matter how small the space.
- Neutral colors of paint, especially gray, cream, ivory and pink, are finally in vogue.
- Lighting plays an important role in design.
- It is important to avoid choosing soft ceramic floors in order to avoid slipping.
- Electric kitchen utensils, especially refrigerators and gas ovens, are designed from stainless steel and fingerprints, and painted in black, in line with current fashion, knowing that electrical appliances are included in the design.
New kitchen items
Engineer Amy calls for the selection of the basic kitchen material, very carefully, from:
1 Wood covered with a layer called “HPL” which means, treated chips that are resistant to scratches and high temperatures.
2 Or wood covered with “Polylac”, meaning “environmentally friendly” material developed in a way that looks shiny to glossy, similar to mirrors in reflection, as well as resistance to scratches and heat, with easy cleaning.
3 Or PVC panels, the latter being a plastic form resistant to heat, water and fire.
Work triangle in the kitchen
“Work triangle” is a term that expresses a specific path for the way content is presented in space, as follows: Dishwasher, refrigerator and gas oven are distributed in such a way as to enable movement between the mentioned points, such as. like a triangle, during cooking, which makes the design more cozy and efficient. To achieve a “work triangle” in design, there are two common approaches:
- Display of contents in the kitchen in the form of the letter L: The above design is suitable for the kitchen with limited space, so that the appliances in it look perfectly distributed, e.g. dishwasher on a wall and refrigerator near the gas stove. on the opposite wall, with slight movement between the points mentioned, along the “triangular” path.
- U-shaped display of contents in the kitchen: The aforementioned design is used in the spacious kitchen, with a gas basin on one wall, a sink on the second wall and a refrigerator on the third. Thus, it is easy to move between the points mentioned, along the “triangle” path. In the case of the presence of the “island” or “counter”, the latter is located opposite the basin of the basin, with the gas furnace integrated in it, with the deposition of the third wall of any additional details desired in the design.
On the other hand, if the kitchen is too small, the storage units are scattered, with the sink, refrigerator and gas oven on one wall. In this case, the aforementioned “triangle” shape is not formed.
4 decoration tips
1 The design idea that requires the installation of the gas oven directly under the window is ruled out, as the air flowing from it can extinguish the fire during cooking and can also bring dust to the food in the pot.
2 There is no objection to preparing the kitchen design, in such a way that the sink location is placed directly under the window.
3 The washing machine is excluded from the kitchen, especially if the size of the space is small. On the other hand, it is advisable to find a place in the bathroom for the aforementioned device.
4 It is correct to use light colors in kitchen paint. The issue of light color applies to the ceramics that cover the floors and walls, which creates a sense of space within the place.
Neutral paint colors are finally popular for kitchen walls, especially gray, cream, ivory and pink