After 6 years of ban – UN welcomes resumption of flights from Sana’a airport | DW news Arabic | Latest News And Prospects From Around The World DW

The Special Envoy of the Secretary-General of the United Nations in Yemen, Hans Grundberg, welcomed the launch of the first commercial flight from Sanaa Airport today (Monday, May 16, 2022) and stated in a statement a copy of which the Agency German News (dpa) received a copy of its gratitude to the Kingdom of Jordan for “valuable support and constructive co-operation from the Yemeni government in facilitating travel.” He noted that this is a time for coordinated efforts to begin to repair what the war has broken and to “implement all ceasefire commitments to build trust and move towards the resumption of a political process to ‘ ending the conflict in a sustainable way “.

He added, “These commitments were largely a promise to Yemenis of greater security, better access to basic goods and services, and improved freedom of movement within, to and from Yemen.”

He stressed that progress towards opening roads in Taiz (southwest of the country) “is essential to achieving this promise”, expecting the parties to fulfill their obligations, including the speedy meeting to agree on opening roads in Taiz (surrounded by Houthis) and other provinces of the country. Yemen in accordance with the terms of the ceasefire agreement.

Earlier in the day, Yemen Airlines’ first commercial flight took off from Sanaa International Airport, which is under the control of Houthis, to the Jordanian capital, Amman, under the terms of the UN ceasefire. A navigation source at Sanaa airport, who asked not to be mentioned, told the German News Agency (dpa) that the plane took off with 151 passengers on board, most of them patients, including passengers with travel documents issued by the areas. controlled by Houthi. He stressed that the plane will land in Amman and is supposed to return from Amman to transport the sick and stranded there to Sanaa airport this evening.

For its part, Al Masirah satellite channel, which is speaking on behalf of Houthis, said that the airport administration confirmed that “commercial flights will be organized in the coming days if they are not hindered by the coalition of aggression”, referring to the Coalition military led by Saudi Arabia.

It is worth noting that the Saudi-led coalition has imposed an air ban on navigation at Sanaa Airport since 2016, with the exception of international flights.

Iran-backed Houthis accuse Riyadh of imposing a “siege” on Yemen, while the Saudis say they want to prevent arms smuggling to rebels.

And last April 24, Yemen Airlines announced the postponement of its first commercial flight in six years from Sanaa airport, due to the failure to obtain an operating permit from the coalition, following the refusal of the internationally recognized Yemeni government to allow passengers to use issued passports. from Houthi controlled areas. And last Thursday, the government announced its approval to operate flights from Sanaa Airport in Jordan, with passports issued by Houthis, during the ceasefire period.

She stressed that her agreement “came out of her full commitment to serve the Yemenis and alleviate their suffering caused by the Houthi militia coup since 2014 and her rejection of all political solutions”.

The UN envoy, Hans Grundberg, announced the start of a two-month ceasefire in early April, subject to an extension, which includes the cessation of military operations and scheduled flights from Sanaa airport and the opening of roads to the besieged governorate of Taiz by Houthis.

HZ / AGM (DPA / AFP)

Leave a Comment