Yemen: Government-Houthis swap accusations of obstructing first commercial flight through Sanaa airport since 2016

Taiz Al-Quds Al-Arabi: Yemeni government and Houthi coups exchanged accusations yesterday of obstructing the launch of the first commercial flight through Sana’a International Airport after the Saudi-led Arab coalition in Yemen closed Sana’a airport in August 2016.
Yesterday, Sunday, the first commercial flight of Yemen Airlines was scheduled to depart from the capital, Sanaa, to the Jordanian capital, Amman and back, and it was obstructed at the last moment due to disputes between the two parties over the disclosure of the names of passengers and the status of their passports, which the government considered contrary to what had been agreed, within the terms of the ceasefire, which took effect earlier this month, include the opening of Sanaa International Airport for commercial flights. , which is under the control of the Houthis.
And the Yemeni government announced in a statement yesterday that it was keen to provide everything that would facilitate the launch of the first Yemeni Airlines flight through Sana’a airport, to alleviate the Yemeni humanitarian suffering and “all internal procedures were required to start operating a number of flights to and from Sanaa Airport under the ceasefire agreement led by the Special Envoy of the United Nations Secretary-General for Yemen, Hans Grundberg.
She stated that “it was agreed to operate flights in accordance with the procedures in force at Seiyun and Aden airports, including the approval of passports issued only by the government, given that passports are national sovereign documents of the exclusive right of Yemen.” . government.”
The government made it clear that it made great efforts to coordinate with host countries and obtained the approval of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan to conduct a weekly flight on the route (Sana’a – Amman – Sana’a), according to which instructions were given Yemeni Airlines to start operating procedures and launch the first flight on Sunday, April 24th.
The government said in a statement: “Unfortunately, the Houthi militias, through the Yemeni office in Sana’a, closed all ticket offices and restricted release to the Yemeni office in Sana’a, and tickets were issued to passengers with “passport issued by the Houthi militia.”
She added, “And from the government’s concern about the security of its procedures and its obligations to the international community and host countries, it demanded through the office of the United Nations envoy that Houthi respect what was agreed upon. passengers and remove the names of passengers who do not have known passports ”.
The government said that “as a result of the rejection and obstruction of the Houthi militia, the flight scheduled for April 24 was delayed until the militias returned to the commitments they had agreed upon.”
She explained that passports issued by Houthi rebels have become invalid and unrecognized internationally since March 2017, and facilities have been offered to citizens in Houthi-controlled areas to obtain passports from issuing centers in government-controlled areas.
In addition, the Houthi militia accused the Arab coalition in Yemen of rejecting what had been agreed regarding the resumption of commercial flights through Sana’a International Airport. And she said: “The aggression countries waived their obligations and refused to grant permission to reduce the commercial flight that was scheduled to arrive at Sanaa airport on Sunday morning.”
The Undersecretary of the Civil Aviation and Meteorological Authority, Major Talib Jabal, who is affiliated with the Houthis in Sanaa, said that “the aggression countries evaded their obligations by refusing to give Yemen Airlines permission to reduce the commercial flight that was scheduled to arrive today (yesterday). ” This was considered a violation of the terms of the ceasefire declared by the United Nations envoy to Yemen.
UN envoy Hans Grundberg expressed his concern about the failure to complete the first commercial flight through Sanaa airport and said in a Twitter post on his official Twitter account: “I want to express my concern. “The postponement of the first commercial flight from Sanaa Airport, which was scheduled for today. I urge the parties to work constructively with me and my office to find a solution that will allow flights to resume as planned.”
The United Nations had declared a ceasefire between the Yemeni government and the Houthis for a period of two months, starting on April 2 and ending on the second date of next June, including the cessation of military operations, allowing fuel ships to enter through the port of Hodeidah, which is under the control of Houthis, as well as the reopening of the airport. Sana’a International Airport is facing commercial flights, with two flights a week, in connection with the opening of roads and ports between the cities of Yemen, above all of which is the opening of roads leading to the besieged city of Taiz by the Huthi since the summer of 2015. However, the Houthis have not yet pledged to open any of the closed roads near the city of Taiz, although it is a key clause of the ceasefire agreement between the two parties.
In addition, the Yemeni Airlines company explained that it had “started the procedures for booking tickets for passengers on this flight and had made all its technical preparations regarding the time of arrival and take-off of the aircraft, and then its return to Sana’a”. ‘a International. Airport from Amani. “
She said she “regrets that she has not yet received an operating permit for her first flight from Sana’a International Airport in the Jordanian capital, Amman, which was scheduled to depart on Sunday, April 24 at 8:00 p.m. morning “Sana’a. koha.

Leave a Comment